Thursday, April 19, 2012

{recipe} strawberry pudding cake



 


Eric's birthday was a couple of weeks ago so I made him this birthday cake.  

I love to bake and never, ever buy store bought cakes.  It's so much better to eat something homemade.  

He normally prefers spice cake, but this year he wanted to try something different.  When I asked him what he wanted he said he wanted a cake that his grandma (I think) used to make him.  I scoured the internet and couldn't find anything similar until I landed this recipe.  I tweaked it a bit and made it my own.

It's basically a simple cake with pudding incorporated, finished with a pudding topping.

I can't tell you how excellent this is.

It's pretty easy, super tasty, and you can do multiple variations.  I made this with strawberry cake mix and vanilla pudding.  You could also do chocolate/chocolate, chocolate/vanilla, yellow/vanilla, white/coconut, really any flavor of either will work.

Since I had given up chocolate for lent, my sweet husband sacrificed his cake for me and said I could make a non-chocolate cake so I could enjoy it too! Sappy, I know.


Here is the recipe and how to make the cake.

Ingredients:

1 cake mix

2 boxes of instant pudding 

4 cups of milk

1 cup powdered sugar [I think I used a bit less]

1 container of cool whip

 
Directions:

Make cake according to package directions for a 9x13 pan.  When you remove the cake from the oven, poke holes in cake approx 1 inch apart using the end of a wooden spoon.  I think I had maybe like 12 holes or so, but add more or less depending on how much pudding you want mixed into your cake.  

Combine the pudding with powdered sugar and gradually stir in the milk.  Beat with a mixer for about a minute or so.  Pour about half of this over the cake and into the holes before it thickens up.  

Allow the remainder of pudding to thicken and add about half a container of cool whip to make a fluffier, richer topping.  Then spoon over the top of the cake, and there's the topping!

 Put into the fridge for about an hour before serving and store in the fridge as well.

And there you have it!

A new twist to plain ol' boxed cake mixes.  

Try this next time you want to bake a cake.

  
probably thinking of a wish to make (:



7 comments:

Live Simply- Live Well said...

Ya-hu-mmmmm. Yum yum yum. That looks awesome. happy belated birthday to your guy!

Courtney said...

That looks so yummy!! I'll have to find some gluten free cake mix so I can make it =)

Krista Lynn said...

I love this!! It looks so pretty and tasty!!!

Laura said...

Easy and Tasty = my kind of baking :)

Courtney said...

I also nominated you for the Liebster Award on my blog, go check it out =)

xo
Courtney

Janna Renee said...

Holy hell...excuse my french, but I just drooled on my keyboard. Send some my way!!

What Marty Sees said...

It looks so moist and full of flavor!