Tuesday, September 3, 2013

'just a dog'


i had seen this poem floating around on facebook for a while and loved what it stood for.  dogs are one of my biggest passions in life - they have been around me my whole life, i can't imagine life without one, and i think they are one of life's greatest blessings.  if you are a dog lover like me, then you know what i'm talking about.  it's ok if you don't, but i have to say you are missing out!

                      ____________________________________________________________________

from time to time people tell me, 'it's just a dog,' or 'that's a lot of money for just a dog.'  they don't understand the distance traveled, time spent, or costs involved for 'just a dog.' some of my proudest moments have come about from 'just a dog.'  many hours have passed with my only company being 'just a dog' and not once have i felt slighted.  some of my saddest moments have been brought about by 'just a dog.'  in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of 'just a dog' provided comfort and purpose to overcome the day.

if you too think it's 'just a dog,' you will probably understand phrases like 'just a friend,' 'just a sunrise,' or 'just a promise.'  'just a dog' brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy, the compassion, and patience that makes me a better person.  because of 'just a dog,' i will rise early, take long walks, and look longingly into the future.

for me and folks like me, it's not 'just a dog.'  it's an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.  'just a dog' brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.  

i hope that someday people can understand that it's not 'just a dog.'  it's the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being 'just a man or a woman.'  

so the next time you hear, 'just a dog,' smile, because they 'just don't understand.'



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this!!! My dog is my baby! He's my companion. He's everything.

Ashley said...

Soo very true!! I'd be lost without my dogs!! I can rely on them more so than some of my friends! They are here for me more so than anyone else, they get it, no matter it is they just have a way of understanding like humans don't!

Susan said...

love this.

Janna Renee said...

Aww! Super sweet. What a great poem ;)

Kristen said...

Love this! My boys are and will forever be more than "just my dogs."