Thursday, March 8, 2012

according to this, i'm an embarrassment.



.... but I don't think so at all.

What am I talking about?

Well the other day I was reading a new magazine I had picked up and ran across an article on some beauty trends they called embarrassing.  In fact, out of the 9 trends listed, I currently do 6 of them.  Yep, six.  So i guess I'm good for a few laughs. But, I'm actually laughing at this list.

Here are some things I do that are crazes and hideous.

1.  Bronzer.  Sorry, but this is a staple of mine.  I'm fair skinned so I use this throughout the year to give my skin a bit of sun-kissed color.  I like to wear it on my cheeks, as a contour, and even neck and chest. I don't wear it every day and definitely don't go overboard, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with bronzer in my eyes!  If you find a color that works for your skin, it can make you look absolutely beautiful. 



2.  Highlights.   I love highlights.  Hair that is one solid color mostly looks boring and one dimensional.  Highlights help to give it depth and brighten up a face.  I actually prefer more chunky ones as opposed to more natural, blended ones.  I like a dramatic look.  I think I'll always have highlights in my hair no matter what color I have it.  



3.  Eyeliner.   Come on...eyeliner.  Hello?!  That's a major part in making eyes pop.  I wear it every day, especially on the top.  Without this, I look tired or even close to death.  From subtle eyeliner to dramatic, thick lined eyes, I think liner will always be here to stay, no matter how it's worn.  Even colored liners are popular and work.  Not sure why it was included on this list!



4. Rouge. Ok, so I call this blush, but I think I can sorta see why it was included.  People do tend to go overboard with this and an end up looking like Bozo, but if worn softly, it's a must.  Blush makes a face look brighter and more alive!  It can be hard to find the correct color that works with your skin tone, but there is the perfect one out there, trust me!



5.  Glitter.  I'm guilty.  I know this is very junior high-ish, but I freaking love glitter.  I have several different kinds and colors for eyes, skin, and my hair.  There is just something about sparkling that makes me feel so good.  When going out, I add some here and there and I'm on my way.  I'm even guilty of going into a store, seeing a glittery item, and putting some of that glitter on my face.  I love it!



6.  Bump.  Bumps are beautiful.  Whether it's done with a ponytail or just adding one to hair that's down,  I think it truly adds something to a style.  There are so many ways to create a bump so that's what makes it great.  I do think bumps look better on some people and not others, but it's another hair do I love.  I wear bumps a lot when I have time to create one!  I think I'll probably always wear this, too.



The other 3 trends on the list that I'm not into are ~

1.  Perm.  Yea, I'm not a fan of perms.  I think I've had 2 in my life and they were like in the early 90s.  I really don't ever see any that look too good, so people should probably steer clear.  If I could find big enough rollers that would give huge, bouncy curls, then I may reconsider, but that's nearly impossible.



2.  Cornrows.  I think this is one of the ugliest things a person can do to their hair.  I actually cringe when I see them.  People go on vacations and get their whole head done and I think, wth.  Not only does it look bad, but it's bad for your hair and gives you a hell of a headache!  Bottom line:  Not cute, please don't wear.




3.  Bangs.  Bangs can be cute.  Bangs are just not for me.  Personally I don't like them well enough to wear them and secondly, I have a cowlick so it would be impossible for me to have them.  I've had a bare forehead my whole life and always will. 



All images via

============================================

How many of these trends do you currently do?
What do you think of the list?  Is it correct or crazy?

I thought it was pretty good and I actually enjoyed reading it and totally disagreeing with much of it!



12 comments:

angie on maui said...

Haha, I have no idea what the others on this list are, but from what you've written, I am guilty of bronzer, eyeliner, the "bump" AND glitter. So you're in good company. :)

Michelle said...

I'm guilty of so many of these! Haha

Unknown said...

Definitely guilty of bronzer, highlights, eyeliner, blush AND bump... I'm not a glitter girl. I love it, I just don't wear it.I don't have the confidence for it.... But it is beautiful on others and YOU are not an embarrassment, you are beautiful!! :)

Live Simply- Live Well said...

Haha! I do bronzed, blush or rouge, and bumps. They don't know what they are talking about.

Yvette | Classic Glam Blog said...

thanks for your comment! Loving your blog. your 90th follower!

Trish said...

I can't believe this list! It's crazy to think that some of these things are an embarrassment! Blush, eyeliner, bangs? Sometimes I wonder about those fashion magazine writers. What will next month's embarrassing thing be? Having lips? LOL

Janna Renee said...

I'm assuming that they MUST mean that these trends are bad when done overboard because I either do most of them or like most of them (minus the cornrows and perm- them not-so-much). I'm even posting tomorrow that eyeliner is one of my staples. Haha

Niina - My Paper Chaos said...

Eyeliner and blush? Isn't that a part of most people's make-up routine? Just wondering haha. I love bronzer too!

Amy Harris said...

haha ok that list is a little ridiculous i feel. if that's the case then i'd say the majority of the population fits under at least one of these things. funny funny.

Jessica said...

Well, I must be a massive embarassment. How is eyeliner even a trend? Isn't it just a makeup essential? And I can't live without bronzer either!

Jessica said...

Well, I must be a massive embarassment. How is eyeliner even a trend? Isn't it just a makeup essential? And I can't live without bronzer either!

Lauren Rebecca said...

Guilty of many of these also!