Friday, October 12, 2012

{diy} puff paint on canvas.





I saw this idea on Pinterest months and months ago and thought it would be neat to try out.  Mine sure didn't turn out like the one I saw and was actually a bit more complicated, but fun, nonetheless.

It's a cute addition to my decor and it was interesting to experiment with puff paint + canvas.  The idea behind it is to use white on white, paint a solid color, and then have the design show through.

The original directions said to use elmer's glue, then a modification to puff paint on wax paper, let it dry, peel off and use mod podge to adhere the paint to canvas.  Well, I tried that method and failed, so below are the easier steps I took to create this cute painting.

Use the puff paint to directly draw design onto canvas and let dry.  Any pattern will work.  You could even draw in pencil first and then trace over with the paint.
Paint entire canvas with one color.  One to two coats should do the trick.

Let dry for a couple of hours. 


Viola! You have the final project.  This definitely isn't perfect or beautiful by any means, but it's cute.

The total cost for this was roughly $15.
  • $5 for the canvas
  • $2 for the puff paint
  • $2 for turquoise acrylic paint
  • $5 for a new brush

I think think next time I'm going to do stars or another curved pattern.  It would be really cute to get several different sizes and colors of canvas and have a gallery on a wall. 

10 comments:

Nikki said...

This is cute! I have to try it!

Live Simply- Live Well said...

That's cute! I have no artistic ability, so I could never do that, but yours looks so good.

Unknown said...

You did a great job!

Megan said...

Such a unique and creative way to add art to your home! At least you know that you can add your own flair to your place!

Sabz said...

very cool! you can even personalize it. thanks for sharing!

ladaisi said...

Hello Lesley - happy Saturday! You've won my etsy print giveaway!- congrats! ;) Just shoot me an email with which print you prefer and your addy, and I'll get it shipped Monday!

ladaisiblog@hotmail.com

Janna Renee said...

I need to do this soon! I keep seeing it!

Unknown said...

OMG. That is soooo cool!!!

Rach said...

Just saw your email about your latest project being from Pinterest and I just had to check it out. I've seen this floating around Pinterest and I love it! You did such a great job! Love the blue you picked! :)

Patty said...

So fun and quirky!! This looks too easy not to try! (famous last words!)