I hadn't ever had Shepherd's Pie until Eric moved here and fixed it for me. It's a great mix of stuff all rolled into one. It's originally and English recipe that transformed into an American dish, and I think it actually uses lamb instead of beef. Not my cup of tea.
So, here are the ingredients and directions. . .
- 4 to 5 potatoes, peeled and boiled (I use red and keep the skin on)
- 1 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce - how do you pronounce??
- 1 cup brown gravy - I used the dry package
- 10-oz. pkg frozen peas, thawed
- Preheat the oven! Then mash potatoes, butter, milk, salt and pepper together; set aside. Brown hamburger in a skillet and drain. Add tomato, mushrooms, parsley, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and gravy; mix well. Add peas and simmer 5 minutes and pour into an ungreased dish. Spread mashed potatoes over top and bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.
|Finished product. Yum!|
|Slice the potatoes before boiling to cook them faster.|
|Chopped mushrooms, parsley, and tomatoes.|
|Add the salt, pepper, butter, and milk to potatoes.|
|Brown and drain.|
|Add to the hamburger and mix.|
|Then add peas.|
|Put into dish.|
|Cover with potatoes and bake.|
|This is how it ends up!|
|Because it took so long to prepare, this is what I resorted to. I couldn't wait for the food to finish and because it was bed time, I needed something quick and easy. I ate the next nite though and loved.|
I'll let you in on a few secrets.
+ Plan ahead - this takes a while to prepare and bake.
+ Don't forget to preheat the oven! This set me back an extra 20 minutes so I added that to the beginning of the recipe.
+ The peas have to be thawed. I didn't realize and had to put in microwave!
+ If you like instant potatoes, they will work fine also. I prefer homemade mashed, so that takes a bit to prepare as well.
+ Green beans or corn can be substituted for the peas.
I will probably make this again because it tastes so good, but it sure took a while. We both enjoyed it and actually were able to get a few meals out of it. This would probably work out best to cook over the weekend.
Hope this sounds good!