Saturday, January 7, 2012

White Bean Chicken Chili

It has been unseasonably warm the last week, like setting records in the 60s, but I was really wanting some chili and ran across this recipe, which is done in the crockpot. My crockpot is like my best friend;  I couldn't get by without her.  Please try it out and let me know what you think. 


Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 lb cooked diced chicken
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes (14 oz)
  • 1 can white beans (16 oz), rinsed and drained
  • 1 can black beans (16 oz), rinsed and drained 
  • 1 can tomatoes with chiles (10 oz) - this will make it spicy (in my eyes) so I omitted & added another can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • 2 cubes chicken bouillon
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Garnish ~ sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced black olives, diced avocado, tortilla chips
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook onion and garlic until soft.Place in a slow cooker with remaining ingredients except garnish.  Cover and cook on low setting for about 4 hours.  Garnish as desired.

I tasted the chili about halfway through just to see if it needed tweaked and what it tasted like.  I found that it was really tomatoey and didn't quite taste right.  My sister tested it as well and just kind of looked at me and said, 'more salt & pepper,' because I am known for underseasoning my food.  It turned out really well though.  However, as I was almost done with my bowl of this delicious chili, I realized that I completely forgot to add the onion and garlic!! That's what it was missing!  It still tasted wonderful, but don't make the mistake I did and forget to add.  

No comments: